The Providence Christian College Specialist Basketball Programme in partnership with Lakeside Lightning is open to students in Years 7, 8 9 and 10 in 2022. Commencing in 2020, the Programme is planned to grow in future years to include Years 7-12. Applications will be received from students who currently attend the College and students from outside who are looking to enrol at Providence Christian College in 2022.
The Specialist Basketball Programme provides high-quality coaching and training to assist students in pursuing excellence within the sport of Basketball. The delivery of the Programme is made possible through an effective partnership between College Staff and Lakeside Lightning. As an affiliated association with Basketball WA, Lakeside is able to provide incredible learning experiences and pathways for our students. Lakeside has teams in both the WA Basketball League (WABL) and the Basketball League NBL1 West, providing opportunities and also expertise from the highest levels of Basketball in WA.
Lakeside provides the coaching staff for the Programme, headed up by current Men’s and Women’s NBL1 West Head Coach and Director of Basketball Development, Dave Daniels. As a player, Dave is a former Olympian, and as a Head Coach, has 10 years of experience in the US College Basketball System, prior to leading the current Lightning NBL1 Team for the past four seasons. Through our partnership with Lakeside, students will have access not only to Dave but also other NBL1 Coaches and Players, along with opportunities to engage directly with the Lightning WABL Programme.
While pursuing basketball excellence will be a major focus, the Programme will go further in developing the whole student and see this pursuit of excellence established as a character trait applied to all of life. Coaching and teaching staff are committed to this holistic view of developing our Specialist Basketball Students.
- A limited number of students will be selected to join the Specialist Basketball Programme in Years 7, 8 9 and 10 in 2022.
- Students will train for one hour, twice a week, before school in the College Sports Hall
- Training sessions will provide students with opportunities to develop their skills at both formative and, on selection, advanced level training
- In 2022 students in Year 9 and 10 will have the opportunity to select Specialist Basketball as an Elective within their timetable
- Students will be encouraged to trial for the WABL (WA Basketball League) Programme at Lakeside.
- The Year 9 Programme will include Leadership and , Personal Development, Strength and Conditioning training and the opportunity to gain qualifications in Refereeing and Coaching
- The Year 10 Programme will include Advanced Level Coaching, Strength and Conditioning training and being equipped for and serving in basketball and the community.
- Students will have the opportunity to represent Providence in Inter-School Basketball competitions
- Although not a requirement for selection, it is expected that programme participants will be engaged in club basketball outside of College commitments.
The cost of the Programme is $400 for the full year. Students will also be required to purchase Team training uniforms. Please note that the cost is additional to the standard College fees and charges. If your child withdraws for reasons other than medical, no refund will be issued.
This Programme is aimed at students who have existing skills, interest and potential in the sport of Basketball. Part of the selection process will be a practical trial, assessing physical attributes, Basketball skills and knowledge. In addition, the application process will include the review of recent school reports and feedback from appropriate referees. Beyond basketball ability, it is expected that students, successful in being selected for this Programme, will have an outstanding attitude to all aspects of College life. Clear requirements are detailed in the application process.
Application and Trial Process
Expressions of Interest will be received at any time and can be completed using the form above. On receipt of an expression of interest, an Application Pack will be provided.
All applicants will be invited to attend a Practical Trial at 4:30 pm on September 22 this year. Students will be advised of the outcome of their application within one week of participating in the practical trial.
Applicants who are unable to attend the practical trial, or who apply after the trial, may have the opportunity to join the Programme, however, this will be at the discretion of the Basketball Programme Coordinator.