You’re invited to a special Middle School Tour on Wednesday 24 June. Discover our caring Christian College where students from K-12 grow to live a life of purpose and influence.
The College Middle School is part of the Secondary School and caters for students in Years 7 to 9 providing a specific programme aimed at meeting the particular needs of students in this age group. At this stage of their development peers strongly influence students, and they typically question previously accepted conventions, practices and values. They are also developing an awareness of social issues, acquiring personal interests, and have a strong need to belong. Students are supported by teaching staff who understand this developmental stage and can relate positively to their students.
The Middle School curriculum, while developed to meet the requirements of the Western Australian Curriculum, places significant emphasis on collaborative learning, integrated work units and values education. The emphasis on values is designed to reinforce and further develop a Christian worldview, providing students with a foundation from which they can examine and explore broader community and social issues. The main objectives of the Middle School programme include:
- Providing students with a smooth transition into secondary schooling.
- Ensuring pastoral care is provided by staff who know the students and understand their needs.
- Providing flexibility in programming to ensure that students are given a variety of opportunities to achieve to the best of their abilities.
- Assisting students in the identification and development of their gifts and interests.
- Providing learning support where necessary.
- Extending gifted and talented students.
- Preparing every student for Senior Schooling in their final years at the College.
- Encouraging positive peer interaction.
- Building a sense of community and commitment with one another.
The Middle School programme is designed to support the building of relationships and assist our students in finding their place in the community. In doing so, our programs are intended to motivate interest in the wider community and guide students in their understanding of the world around them. In addition to the ‘core curriculum’ and compulsory subjects, students engage with a variety of Interest Subjects and Electives, including:
- Design and Technology
- Home Economics
- Information and Digital Technology
- Languages – Indonesian
Students may also avail themselves of the many other opportunities that the College provides throughout their years in the Middle School.
- Tutoring from Staff and a Study Café
- A Specialist Basketball Programme and other Sporting Teams
- College Choir, Musical and Drama productions
- College Leadership and Student Councillors
- Personal Development programmes
The Middle Schooling programme is designed to keep students interested and engaged with their learning while helping them to understand their abilities and explore their limits in readiness for entry into the Senior School programme and its various pathways.